The road to the Olympic games in London just got a little shorter last night after the 2012 Visa Championships. After a stiff competition, the names of the girls still in the running for the Olympic team were announced. The members of the senior women's national team will go on to compete in the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials, June 28-July 1. Sporting some familiar faces from the 2008 Olympics and some new favorites, who are you hoping makes it to London?
View the team list here:
Update: See who made the 2012 Olympic Teams here
Courtesy of USA Gymnastics:
U.S. Senior Women’s National TeamMcKayla Maroney was petitioned onto the team following a scary injury during yesterday's practice. She suffered a concussion but as far as we know, is otherwise okay.
All will advance to the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials
- Jordyn Wieber, DeWitt, Mich., Gedderts’ Twistars USA
- Gabby Douglas, Virginia Beach, Va., Chow's Gymnastics and Dance Institute
- Aly Raisman, Needham, Mass., Brestyan's American Gymnastics
- Kyla Ross, Aliso Viejo, Calif., Gym-Max Gymnastics
- Elizabeth Price, Coopersburg, Pa., Parkettes National Gymnastics Center
- Sarah Finnegan, St. Louis, Mo., Great American Gymnastics Express
- Sabrina Vega, Carmel, NY, Dynamic Gymnastics
- Kennedy Baker, Flower Mound, Texas, Texas Dreams Gymnastics
- Brenna Dowell, Odessa, Mo., Great American Gymnastics Express
- Bridget Sloan, Pittsboro, Ind., Sharp’s Gymnastics
- McKayla Maroney, Long Beach, Calif., All Olympia Gymnastics Center
- Alicia Sacramone, Winchester, Mass., Brestyan's American Gymnastics
- Rebecca Bross, Plano, Texas, WOGA
- Anna Li, Naperville, Ill., Legacy Elite
- Nastia Liukin, Parker, Texas, WOGA
U.S. Women’s Junior National Team
- Lexie Priessman, Cincinnati, Ohio/Cincinnati Gymnastics
- Madison Desch, Lenexa, Kan./Great American Gymnastics Express
- Simone Biles, Spring, Texas/Bannon's
- Bailie Key, Coppell, Texas/Texas Dreams
- Katelyn Ohashi, Plano, Texas/WOGA
- Amelia Hundley, Hamilton, Ohio/Cincinnati Gymnastics
After Shawn Johnson announced her retirement from the sport, I'm excited to see if Nastia Liukin can pull it off again. I also really like Bridget Sloan and would love to see Alicia Sacramone redeem herself.
What do you guys think?